Creative CollaborationAmanda believes that the journey of making a film, and the strategy of sharing the film, is just as important as the film itself. This requires building relationships and a culture of partnership behind the scenes. On every film, Amanda works closely with the client, interviewees, and relevant organizations to leverage meaningful opportunities to maximize impact.
Production steps include:
- Initial client call: understand vision, goals, audience, scope, budget
- Pre-production: draft storyboards, identify & prep interviews, marketing strategy
- Production (on location): coach & conduct interviews, onsite or virtual audio-visual recording
- Post-production: media management, editing, color grading, review rounds, client approval
- Promotion: market films as determined to reach goals & audience (social, websites, festivals)
Amanda has worked with
Empathy-ProducedAmanda is mindful that interviewees and subjects of her films are often sharing personal stories or topics they are very passionate about. Amanda coaches and supports interviewees throughout the process, helping them to feel safe and comfortable with their story and expression. Amanda has been on both sides of the camera, so she "gets it" as is able to get on people's level.
Production best-practices include:
- Strategic sharing
- Motivational interviewing
- Consent and collaboration
- Person and Identity-driven
Theoretical ApproachAmanda believes that making a film is both an art and a science. She considers sociological and entertainment theories in crafting a film. Entertainment-education is a type of narrative messaging intervention that emotionally involves the viewer in the storyline and aims to effect social change - which can occur at the level of individual, community, or society. Essentially, the goal is to deliver prosocial health messages to positively influencing awareness, knowledge, attitudes, and/or behaviors. Other theories and practices include:
- Transportation Theory (Green and Brock)
- The extent that individuals are absorbed into a story (identification)
- The Identification Scale (Cohen)
- The extent to which viewers identify with a character
- Entertainment Overcoming Resistance Model (Moyer-Guse).
- The narrative format increases absorption in the drama, reducing resistance to the messaging.
- Elaboration Likelihood Model (Petty, Cacioppo, Shrum)
- Immersive engagement making it easier to influence beliefs, attitudes, and behavior.
- Social Cognitive Theory (Bandura)
- The most commonly applied theory in the area of entertainment-education
Equipment StyleAmanda is either a one-woman crew wearing all the hats (Director, Producer, Editor, Cinematographer), or working collaboratively with crews depending on the needs and scale of the film. Either way, Amanda has a mindset of "do whatever it takes", because she only works on stories she is passionate about. We're in a Tech Age now where technology is becoming more compact and higher quality every day. This allows Amanda to leverage a minimalistic approach, while not compromising cinematic integrity. Her professional film and audio equipment fits in her backpack so she can be nimble and focused. This setup allows her to move with the story physically and geographically, and be cost-effective with production budgets.
Film AmbassadorAmanda goes beyond just making a film. She is a passionate ambassador and promoter of her films and the causes they represent. She leverages her public speaking platform to raise awareness on a larger scale. Since age 18, she has given over 150 speeches across the globe on filmmaking, mental health recovery, and social entrepreneurship.
When I first heard about the tiny home building project to help California fire survivors, I signed up to volunteer[...]
Drew was studying media and film at Bronx Community College when he first experienced the symptoms. He was hearing things[...]
The Technology and Adolescent Mental Wellbeing Program (TAM), a philanthropically sponsored research initiative led by the efforts of the Social[...]
Since 2016, my filmmaking company, Lipp Studios, has been making short documentary films presenting the successful recoveries of several young[...]